TORONTO–(BUSINESS WIRE)–June 10, 2021– New Gold Inc. (“New Gold” or the “Company”) (TSX and NYSE American: NGD) is pleased to provide an update on exploration activities at its New Afton Mine.
Exploration activities at New Afton are focused on underground drilling targeting new porphyry copper-gold mineralization defined within the New Afton deposit footprint as identified through an Artificial Intelligence (AI) study in 2020. In addition, surface exploration drilling is underway targeting new porphyry copper-gold grade mineralization along the prospective Cherry Creek trend located three kilometres west of the New Afton mill.
- Underground exploration drilling on the AI West target, located approximately 500 meters west of the B3 block cave reserve, returned 25.2 g/t gold over 2 metres; 0.39 g/t gold and 0.19% copper over 16 metres; 0.34 g/t gold and 0.18% copper over 34 metres; 0.97 g/t gold and 1.27% copper over 8 metres; 0.36 g/t gold and 0.19% copper over 16 metres; 2.72 g/t gold and 0.25% copper over 4 metres and 3.35 g/t gold and 0.64% copper over 6 metres (see Table 2 for full drilling results).
- Surface exploration drilling on the Cherry Creek trend returned 21 g/t gold over 1 metre (see Table 4 for full drilling results).
In March 2021, an underground drilling program commenced to test three targets generated within the New Afton deposit footprint based on an AI study completed in 2020. The underground AI targets were defined with the support of all available drill hole geochemical data within the New Afton deposit footprint (353 drill holes). Geochemical wireframes were created by an external consulting firm using their artificial intelligence proprietary software. Targeting involved the selection of AI derived wireframes that were consistent with the New Afton deposit mineralization vectors. Final drill targets were further refined where coincidental vectors from multiple wireframes overlap.
These targets are identified as AI West, AI Southeast and AI North, based upon their location relative to the main New Afton ore body (Figure 1).
AI West Target
Three drill holes totaling 1,157 metres have been completed in 2021. Following completion of the three drill holes, two holes drilled for geotechnical purposes in 2019 were logged and sampled to further assess the extension of the mineralization identified in the AI West target. Results interpretation defined two distinct zones of mineralization: a structurally related high-grade gold zone (Figure 2) and a porphyry style mineralization disseminated gold-copper zone within altered volcanics (Figure 3).
Two additional drill holes are planned to be completed this quarter to test the continuity of both the porphyry mineralization along the picrite contact and the high-grade gold bearing structure.
Drill result highlights at West AI target are as follows (see Table 1 at the end of this news release for drill hole collar coordinates and Table 2 for full drilling results):
- Hole EA21-289 returned 6 metres at 1.06 g/t gold from 32 to 38 metres; 2 metres at 0.87 g/t gold and 1.25% copper from 242 to 244 metres; and 34 metres at 0.34 g/t gold and 0.18% copper from 328 to 362 metres.
- Hole EA19-268 returned 8 metres at 0.97 g/t gold and 1.27% copper from 16 to 24 metres; 16 metres at 0.36 g/t gold and 0.19% copper from 420 to 436 metres; 4 metres at 2.72 g/t gold and 0.25% copper from 550 to 554 metres; 6 metres at 3.35 g/t gold and 0.64% copper from 612 to 618 metres; and 12 metres at 1.15 g/t gold from 638 to 650 metres.
- Hole EA19-267 returned 2 metres at 25.2 g/t gold from 33 to 35 metres; 21 metres at 0.25 gold g/t and 0.24% copper from 98 to 119 metres; 16 metres at 0.39 g/t gold and 0.19% copper from 360 to 376 metres.
AI North Target
Four drill holes have been completed at the AI North target totaling 1,456 metres. Assay results are pending. Two drill holes intercepted 70 metres of pervasive phyllic alteration (Figure 4) located 350 metres outbound from the phyllic halo surrounding the New Afton mineralization. The intense alteration zone warrants follow-up exploration drilling once all data has been interpreted. C-Zone mine development is underway which will allow for the establishment of drill bays that will provide a more efficient angle and proximity to continue testing the AI North target (porphyry target).
AI Southeast Target
A drilling program is planned to begin July 2021 to test alteration and geochemical vectors for the potential extension of the known mineralization into the AI Southeast target.
Cherry Creek Trend
Phase 1 diamond drilling has been completed in the Cherry Creek trend area that included 20 drill holes totaling 10,519 meters (Table 3). Assay results from the final…